Rat City Roller Derby

It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Public forum for Everyone.

Post subject: Too many photos?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:25 pm 

I've been wondering about this for awhile - is there a little photo fatigue setting in? Between the 10-15 photographers who shoot each bout these days, there can literally thousands of photos posted to Flickr and other photo sites from each bout. In my case, as I've gotten better at anticipating the action and getting my timing down, my good shot rate is getting higher and I'm posting 200-400 shots per bout. The same can be said for the other photogs.

Is it getting to be too much? Have we reached a saturation point where we have too much of a good thing?

Just thinking out loud.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:06 pm 

I love all the photos! I don't think there are too many.
All our photogs are thuper!

Post subject: Occasionally...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:10 pm 

I get a little burnt out... but then I just tell myself I am going to shoot more than just the "action" shots... and look for things like Juliet Bravo tying her skates with some lovely natural light over her lovely face... or catching a Mommacherry hug at the end of a bout... warmup stretch shots of Dirty over the top of a skate... or even just Ann Munition's radiant smile in a crowd... and it is all worth it.

Derby makes great practice for my gear too... what lighting works... how to handhold at slower speeds... dealing with intense back lighting...

And the love I get in return... it makes it all worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:31 pm 

Don't stop! There are 80 of us, so for each of us to get into a few pictures there have to be tons!

You guys are SO great and we SO appreciate it. Thank you so much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:40 pm 

Aw, jeez. I think I can understand what you're saying, but I really do love seeing all the photos from you guys. You manage to catch so many aspects of the experience so well...

I can only see a certain amount from my vantage point while being there, but I get to re-live it over again through your shots. Y'all bring so much in your photos. But my favorite thing? It's really great to see a series of photos of the same jam through the shots different photographers. Not just because of where they were sitting/shooting at the time, but because of the way you guys shoot. Each of you seem to catch a different emotion in a player, or something technical, or something with lighting, or with a fan reaction...or...yeah. Am I making sense? x-x-x

I think we're the luckiest league out there by having so many talented, enthusiastic, and wonderful people taking pictures of our bouts. Sorry for the long babble! ++)

Darcy Rant #23
GRAVE DANGER

there's kerosene around, find something to do...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:59 am 

Please do not stop! I am working on getting the photo posts organized a little better, posting by season in order of bouts. It will be cleaned up soon!

In the meantime, please do not stop posting - we love to see ourselves!

GRAVE DANGER

I am always doing things I can't do - that's how I get to do them - Pablo Picasso

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:26 am 

Remember we always have fresh girls. I remember when we started I couldn't get enough photos and I am sure all the new girls feel the same. It helps piece the game back together too!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:40 am 

Don't stop, you all capture us in a different way. And sometimes I can find a shot of me and find another shot from someone else and it make a sequence of events that not just one person can capture. Someone will capture me falling and in the air then I can search for that moment in another photographers post and find out WHO hit me (then I can plot my revenge mmuuuaaahhhhaahhhaa). V~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:03 pm 

Location: Grave Danger, Rain of Terror, AllStar, Legit, SHARKASAURUS
perhaps you missed the memo .... 90% rollergirls are attention whores and having what we do memorialized is priceless ... please keep up your dedication to our sport!

and from the business end of it all I love the choices we have to pick from for promotions, etc

"I'm selfish, impatient, and insecure. I make mistakes, and am out of control and at times, hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

Last edited by Sara Problem on Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:36 pm 

I tend to post too many photos. My experience is that some shots are of interest to others but I can never tell which. I get PMs for shots that I am surprised by at times. So I just post shots that are good quality with the belief that in that shot may be someone's friend, mom, love, what ever and for them it is a great shot. Any shots that are un-loved, redundant, or boring can easily be clicked through.

Bingme (Beingme--Eric Lynch)

Post subject: More More More!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:17 am 

I try to be pretty selective in choosing the photos I post, but I love that we have so many photographers, shooting from different vantage points and using different styles. There are always a lot of great moments that I miss during a bout, and I'd rather see someone else capture them than not see them at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:11 pm 
Sockit Wench

While its hundreds of photos for you photogs...it's only one or two of each individual...more if we are rockstars, so yes, keep them coming in the masses.